I was able to turn the engine easily with a 3/4" ratchet on my S350.
You can feel and hear when you hit the compression strokes. If you
turn slowly, the air escapes quick enough. Pulling the head should
tell you a lot - but it's hard to stop once you start working on
these....

-Dave Walton
94 S350
99 E300