Yeah, I know it'll be a lot of money - perhaps more than I paid for the thing. Admittedly, I don't live up to the image of the list in terms of my do-it-yourself capability and motivation. It's just not one of my strong suits. I like to use cars, but don't like to work on them, except for very minor stuff.

Well, IMHO if you have a garage and some time, and the patience to search
out the right deal, an engine swap can be done at home for not that much
money.  Here at the U-Pull, a complete engine is $135 with a 30-day
warrantee.  It's just that you may have to wait and wait and wait until
they get such an engine in, and you have to do it all yourself.  But
I've seen plenty of these engines come and go over the years.

The good part is that you get to experiment on the donor before tearing
into your own car.  You'd probably spend a few hundred on tools, such as
an engine hoist if you don't have a skyhook of some sort and a chain fall,
and maybe some more on parts to replace "while you are there" (tranny
front seals, motor mounts, etc.)  Call it $500 for the whole job, with
care, and an invaluable learning experience it can be, too.  You'd have
no shortage of advice from those here, too.  Some of it probably worth
more than you paid for it!

Faint heart never won fair wallet.

-- Jim