Allan Streib wrote:

OK I did some checking and I think I remembered the original story
incorrectly.  The city program was picking up the grease for free and
undercutting private haulers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2008/04/28/story6.html

I see. Much ado about nothing.

Local guy is too cheap to pay yellow grease prices for the stuff.
Somebody in Nevada will pay prevailing rates. City sells it to Nevada buyer, local guy bitches because his costs have gone up.

"Patrick MacIntyre, who runs Oakland-based Blue Sky Biofuels with his brother Ralph, said the city's SFGreaseCycle has raised prices for the restaurant cooking oil the city collects for free and sells to recyclers.

"MacIntyre also said San Francisco ironically is selling oil to fuel producers as far afield as Nevada -- rather than supporting local businesses."