I looked at the 05 section (timing chain) at DaveM's site. it sounds like the lower pin is fixed and you pull the banana rail off the pin after you take off the chain case. (01-210) Funny thing, under the 124/OM603, there is no 01-210. I found it under the 126 section. Sounds like a good day's project. Good Luck!

My paper copy of the parts manual shows the pin as a separate part, but in the picture it's different from the pins for the upper rail which have the threaded hole for the extractor.

Max

Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, the book is likely to be right, since I never changed one on an
OM60x. On everything else, the pin is exposed.

That's good news if there is a pin to pull, service manual says to
remove the cover but I'll take a look to see if I can find a pin.

Max

Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:

You should be able to replace the banana rail (that the tensioner
pushes on) from the outside. Pull the pin, pull out the old. Put
the new one in and replace the pin.

Brothers,

I'm considering pulling off the timing case cover on my '87 wagon so
that I can
replace the chain guides. Anyone BTDT? How tough is it to pull off the
crankshaft damper? What sealant do I use to put it all back together? Any
hints/tips/gotchas to be aware off? I know that Dave M. did this
job once long
ago, and I recall that he really didn't enjoy it very much at all.

The upper guide which I've already loosened has a small hole indicating it is getting brittle, and the guide that the chain tensioner pushes on seems to be
cocked and not contacting with the tensioner squarely, so I suspect it has
started failing and I really should replace it as long as I'm this
far into the
process.

 Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon
'87 300TD 334k miles (Off with the head!)
'95 E300 292k miles (daily driving duties)
'73 Balboa 20 (High & dry until the head is back on)
Charleston SC