Finally read the FSM procedure 03-500, there are three different locking
tools for the OM60x, depending on your state of disassembly.  One for use at
the starter hole, one for use when the transmission is removed, and the one
that I need which is used at an access port that is easily accessible with
engine in the car.  That tool costs $185 from Sam Stag, the ZDMak knock-off
copy is $34.50.  Rusty - what is your price for a 601 589 02 40 00?

One poster on PeachParts says he just jammed a wooden mallet handle into the
hole so the ring gear couldn't turn, and that worked for him, but I'm
skeptical.  May be worth trying, probably can't hurt anything.

In the "the more you fix, the more you find needs fixing" category, I pulled
the radiator to get more room, and found a green oily mess on the bottom of
the condenser.  That would be oil and dye from a refrigerant leak, so now I
need to add a new condenser to the parts list...

Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon
Charleston SC
'87 300TD 338k miles (Head off but timing case cover is next...)
'95 E300 292k miles (Daily Driver)
'73 Balboa 20