The only real variable in processors these days is the number of cores on the die, they all run about the same speed -- which is why they don't rate them. 2.5 to 3.0 GHz is the usual range, I think (above that they require liquid helium cooling or they melt!).

So your choice is really, two, three, four, or five (or maybe seven) cores, and as far as I can tell for normal use anything above two is totally wasted. Unless you rendering video or maintaining a corporate size database, you will never see the difference.

Either AMD or Intel is fine -- I personally prefer AMD because they tend to run cooler and use less power for some reason, and because I'm sorta anti-establishment, but that's personal not professional thinking.

Unless you are a power gamer, on board video will be fine too, for that matter.

Peter