We went down the cop shop just now and they are not interested because no threat has been made. And yes taking civil action would be a waste of time and money, particularly as the damage done to the business would be seen as minimal and the court may award me a token amount and order me to pay my own legal bills. Anyway I'll give the so and so a couple of days to back up their BS and then get onto the website to have that stuff pulled.

Hendrik
who has to install a dishwasher now

Mitch Haley wrote:

In the USA, you'd sue John Does #1, #2, #3,... for libel and then subpoena the ISP records if you really wanted to know who did it.

Unfortunately, 'incredibly difficult to deal with' is not an allegation that the plaintiff could easily disprove under USA libel/slander/defamation laws. Are you under the UK system where the libel defendant has to prove the truth of their statements instead of the other way around?

Filing such a suit without intent to prosecute (follow through with the suit to settlement or judgment) would be considered abuse of process and/or fraud upon the court.

Mitch