I think paying a fee to supplement the fees they're already getting from the
merchants, overdraft fees, low interest rates, and the savings they're
getting from not having to process checks is more than enough.  I used cash
and a credit card until this summer when a credit union offered a high
dividend on a checking account if I use the debit card for 12 purchases.
 Now I use a lot less cash, a debit card and credit card.

Brian