A friend of my parent's is a machinist.  He has a home workshop with some
equipment he acquired when his employer decided it was time to replace it.

He doesn't have 3-phase utility power at home but makes his own using a
three-phase motor.  Not sure exactly how this works, I think it runs on one
phase and acts as a generator on the other two phases?

Allan