Well actually, with a bit of experimenting, you can use a 3 phase mixer on single phase pretty easily. You find the "wild" leg, then put it on a momentary on pushbutton switch, hooked to one leg of the 240V. single phase (120V). Then you hook the other two legs through the normal (on off) switch to the other two legs of the three phase. Done.

TO start, you turn the switch on and press the momentary switch until the beast gets up to speed, then release the momentary switch. Its pretty cool once you get used to it. I set up a M802 (80 Qt. hobart that way for a bakery one time.

Works for any 3 phase motor you manually start. Helps a lot if whoever wired the building has the legs in the right position in all the junction boxes. The "wild" leg should be in the middle. Unfortunately many "licensed" electricians don't know/don't do it this way.

Speaking of 3 phase, has anyone considered (ab)using a VFD as a solid state phase converter?

--
John W Reames
jream...@verizon.net