I think you are asking for the unlock code.

Check the glovebox books, and it is not there and if you are reasonably sure it is the original radio, call Rusty with your VIN and he will GIVE your the unlock code.

Okay, so the web forum consensus seems to be that you have to send
your Becker 754 (Grand Prix, 86-87) back to Becker when it gets four
dashes, or that the dealer can magically reset it somehow and the
dealer is sometimes free.  I can replace the battery myself, but my
sort-of-local dealer wouldn't even order me a key so I'm expecting
them to hang up on me when I call.  It seems overkill to send the
radio back to Becker, I like originality but not at that price.

..but surely Okiebenz doesn't give up so easily?  Is there a way to
clear the four dashes?

Thanks,
-Tim