I suspect you mean they ran on propane. We had that for a long while here to. Most of the cabs were running propane for a few years as it was a lot cheaper than gasoline and they were running big old GM and Ford products for the most part. Propane is essentially a liquid. NG has to be compressed so it tends to be a different thing to work with.

The other thing is that there is a loss of power with such a conversion. I think they suggest a 15 to 20 % loss of power on a conversion from gasoline to propane.
Go to NG and it is even lower.

So, the big V8's were capable of losing some power and still running fine around town as cabs. Not so sure it would be as easy to do with a small engine. Not many of the big old engines still running around out there.

I suspect that one of the reasons they fell from favour is that the conversions were for carbed cars and there have been few of those since about 1986. I don't think the fuel injection setups are as easy to convert.

Randy

Right on several points.

1. A carb gasser is pretty easy to convert to propane. FI gassers with computers are not so easy.
2.  I recall about 20% was the number of lost HP on a 'Mericun V8
3. The v-8s in many cars and truck are very de-tuned in stock state compared to Euro engines of the time. That allows lots of cubic inches, and losing 20% does not affect normal driving much.
4.  It was propane, not CNG