What I wanted to hear last night was "Look, oil is expensive but
natural gas is plentiful and the price is really now and projected to
stay that way.  Let's take steps (as T Boone Pickens suggests) to
massivlely convert trucks from diesel to the use of natural gas."
Maybe we could do something similar for passenger vehicles.  A little
goose from the gov'r. and then the private markets will do the rest.

Gummit gums up things. That is their job, that is what they do best, hence the name Gummit. Looking to the Gummit to "solve" anything, makes as much sense as putting chewing gum in the tank of your vehicle.

Your thought processes are bass ackwards