Does anyone know what turbo is on an 87 SDL?  Garret or KKK?

It looks like some things are accessible from above, and some from below. What is the best method for getting the turbo out?

I think I am on to something. With the crossover off, the insides are abnormally clean. Like a complete M1 wash. No gunk, no black, except where oil has pooled a little.

Started up the engine. when I revved up the engine enough so that the turbo started, and held it there, there was oil climbing up the throat of the turbo and running counterclockwise to the high side of the throat. if I ran the RPM up to 3k or so, then the air blew away the oil.

It is not enough to get a bath. I am suspecting that what I am seeing is enough to wash the crossover/intake clean, smoke, especially on startup, and washdown the port side of the engine through the crossover pipe not being sealed well.

My guess is that any visible oil is too much oil.  Is this correct?

The turbo seal failures I have heard of have been catastrophic. This is not. But I suppose it could go catastrophic at any time.

Any body got a cheap source for a turbo cartridge? Les Blumner had a source that was something like $80. I have seen $250.

Got the SDL jacked up today to look for leaks. Compressor side of Turbo is all wet with oil. It is NOT washed clean from the oil. The drain pipe is not oily. the top mount of the drain pipe is wet, and it looks like from above. The bottom mount is also wet, but no signs of a major leak. the vacuum pod that controls the wastegate is coated with dirt and oil, but nothing fresh. I could not find the pressure line that feeds the turbo. Where do you see it?

Left side of engine is wet and oily all over. I knew the shutoff oring on the IP is bad, had ordered replacements from Q last week. no signs of oil leaking out from the head to block seam. No oil leaks apparent from IP to block. That oring was new last summer. Even the shutoff on top of the IP is wet with oil. Oil all over the IP, the fuel heater, left motor mount, the head, and the side of the block. Left side of the oil pan is washed clean from oil. Bottom of oil pan is coated and dripping oil.

When I looked where the car has been parked, the oil is pretty much centered under the car. Like dripping off the oil pan. Front seal shows no sign of excessive leakage.

What is up with this? how does oil get all over the side of the engine with no sign of valve cover leaking?

here is my new theory: if the turbo is leaking AND the crossover pipe to intake manifold is leaking out the bottom, then an oil spray could be blown all over the engine when the turbo is spooled up. That could account for the head being wet with oil on the left side, but the valve cover does not leak. Would account for smokin and leaking. It would also account for oil all over the compressor side of the turbo: Oil in the crossover and the feed pipe drains down and pools in the compressor, with seepage out the air intake hose fitting to the turbo.

I am off to remove the crossover and start it up and see if an oil shower results.

Subject is 87 SDL OM603.

I had the 126 CD on this computer before the HD died. It is gone now. Ceerap. I left the cds at home.

Could be a bad turbo, which will cause all the problems other than the oil drip (unless the drain tube is bad too). I've had this happen in my old Volvo -- an amazing amount of coked oil in the exhaust. Leaking turbo seals can put quite a bit of oil into the intake -- I'm thinking mine is shot due to excess oil consumption and lousy performance at light throttle, same as the Volvo when the turbo quit on it.

One thing to check for -- does it clank too? If so, bent #1 rod because you didn't replace the head gasket before #1 cylinder filled up with oil on an intake stroke from a failed head gasket there.

Peter