From no responses, I gather nobody else has had a turbo failure. Is that right?

Is it correct that any oil in the compressor is conclusive evidence of seal failure?

Does anyone have experience with buying a turbo cartridge?

Does anyone know what turbo is on an 87 SDL?  Garret or KKK?

It looks like some things are accessible from above, and some from below. What is the best method for getting the turbo out?

I think I am on to something. With the crossover off, the insides are abnormally clean. Like a complete M1 wash. No gunk, no black, except where oil has pooled a little.

Started up the engine. when I revved up the engine enough so that the turbo started, and held it there, there was oil climbing up the throat of the turbo and running counterclockwise to the high side of the throat. if I ran the RPM up to 3k or so, then the air blew away the oil.

It is not enough to get a bath. I am suspecting that what I am seeing is enough to wash the crossover/intake clean, smoke, especially on startup, and washdown the port side of the engine through the crossover pipe not being sealed well.

My guess is that any visible oil is too much oil.  Is this correct?

The turbo seal failures I have heard of have been catastrophic. This is not. But I suppose it could go catastrophic at any time.

Any body got a cheap source for a turbo cartridge? Les Blumner had a source that was something like $80. I have seen $250.