OK. Your headers are mounted backwards compared to the others then, with
the exhaust exit in the front, where the cat mounts. Get a set of headers
from most any other iron M117 to have them at the rear end, reducing even
more the heat under the hood. The complete exhaust system (including
headers) from a '77 on 450SL should work nicely, if you can fid one
reasonably priced.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM, clay monroe <redgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> She is a cali car.  They got the beastly things a year early
>
> clay
>
> On Mar 29, 2012, at 4:47 PM, j...@windwireless.net wrote:
>
> >> Going to reduce hood temps when BiL and I cut out the cat and toss in a
> > straight pipe instead.
> >
> > Cat?  Your 74 has a catastrophic converter?  Thought that came in '75,
> both
> > it and '76 had
> > them underhood.  '77+ moved them under the car.  Running from memory
> here,
> > though.
> >
> > -- Jim

OK Don