> > > Philip wrote:
> > >
> > > A good driver will float all the up-shifts.

> >On 25/04/12 17:40, Max wrote:
> >
> > What does it mean to "float an up-shift"?

> Hendrik & Fay wrote:

> Floating a gear means shifting without using a clutch, a good
> driver will be able to shift all gears, up and down, without
> using the clutch.

Floating a down shift on a hill under load is quite tricky - and
if you miss, it is _really_ tricky to get back in gear before
it's necessary to use the brakes to keep the truck from rolling
back downhill.  Down-shifting in other situations is much easier.

> Only possible in a non syncro box, well possible in a syncro
> box but you will have to be within a few engine revs.

Yes, the revolutions have to match, but the transmission help
with that process.  Floating the shift with a non-synchro
transmission is a faster shift than is possible with a clutch or
with a synchromesh transmission, but there is no "safety net"
with the non-synchro so the driver is responsible for matching
the revolutions.

With a synchromesh transmission, the synchros prevent
engagement until the revolutions match, so it's actually much
easier - but because the engagement can't be anticipated, it's
takes longer.

I do it every time I drive one of my cars with a manual
transmission.

--   Philip, who floats more shifts than he clutchs.