On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 15:42:01 -0400 Jaime Kopchinski <jaime...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> While its true that you should never run one of these engines without a
> thermostat under normal use, its part of the standard procedure when
> cleaning the cooling system for both early M116/M117 and OM617 engines.
>
> See Job 20-015 of the OM617 manual for example:
> http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12265/disc_2/program/Engine/617/20-015.pdf

I looked up section 20.4-015 in my paper engine service manual, and, sure
enough, it says to just remove the thermostat. (The on-line PDF is a
later version, 20.8-015).

> I have seen this special "open" thermostat mentioned in manuals also,
> but I can't recall for which models... perhaps only newer cars?

I am sure I saw it in my paper manual for W123s, but 20-015 does say to
remove the thermostat. I looked briefly in the manual and did not see
anything about the forced-open thermostat. Hmmm....

> It could be necessary because sealing of the termostat house isn't
> possible without something taking up the space in some engines?

They all work by having the disk on the end of the thermostat move and
block off the flow directly to the block, forcing it to the radiator.

Craig