Check the low pressure switch, not sure where it is on your car but on my old wagon it is lower left (looking from the front) in front of the engine/wheel/next to radiator, sort of. That switch (among others too I guess) controls the clutch on the compressor. Might be a lose (loose) connection or bad switch or something. Just put a meter on it while it is running and see if it is wonky. If not that, then you will have to start working through the other possibilities. Trace wires to make sure nothing worn.

BTW last night I made some amazingly awesome peach hot pepper sauce with some peppers of various sorts I grew in pots, and some peaches from the farm stand across the road (SC peaches from upstate). Some onion and garlic too, with a bit of rum to sterilize the bottles. It is the best hot sauce I have ever had, not a lot of immediate punch but a nice slow afterburn. A bit sweet from the peaches but just enough to smooth out the flavor. I dipped some green beans in it with my supper, incredible.

--R