Ah, I see, sorry.  I started my assumption from the wrong end.  Yeah, I
should have realized that before I started writing, but then I'd have to
engage my brain and we all know what a hazard that can be at times.  <grin>
 So, additionally, that's why the "safe lights" in a darkroom are red or
orange.  My vision isn't what it used to be, and even then it wasn't
particularly wonderful...
Thanks for the correction,
Tom Reynolds
Sand Springs, OK

At 11:13 AM 12/16/2005 -0700, you wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:38:05 -0700 Tom Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>> I know that in aircraft a "night light" is usually a red light.  I'm not
>> going to get into wavelengths or anything, other than to note that I
>> think red light has a very short wavelength and blue is long-er than
>> red.  How much longer, if it makes any difference, why (or why not) is
>> something I'll leave up to an optometrist, physicist (if someone studies
>> physics, why isn't that person a "physician...?") and the like.
>
>I'm a physicist; my Dad's a physician...
>
>Red light has a longer wavelength than blue light. The wavelength of red
>light is nearly twice as long as the wavelength of blue light.
>
>Red light affects your night vision less than blue light. Astronomers have
>flashlights with red filters.
>

>Craig

>--

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.