Bio-D burns more easily and cleaner than dino diesel because it has more oxygen in it (it's methyl esters of fatty acids). Higher cetane, about what MB diesels are designed for rather than the slop one gets in the US, which is usually mid 40's at best instead of the design limit of 50 and typical 55 rating in Europe IIRC.

It will clean out varnish, it's a natural detergent,and since it ignites better will clear considerable carbon in the combustion areas.

Give it an Italian Tuneup (sorta necessary if you drive a 240D on the interstate anyway, but if you don't floor it on hills as much as you can) and it should clear out nicely.

Worst possible thing to do with an MB diesel engine is putter around in it, they really need some high load/high fuel conditions to burn the carbon out of the pre-chambers.

If the problem persists, however, I recommend getting your nozzles checked. If they don't have the correct opening pressure, are uneven in opening pressure, or don't have a good spray pattern, you get carbon buildup.

Check your chain stretch too, if the chain is worn and the timing is late, you get the symptoms you have. Don't re-set the IP, replace the chain.

Reminds me that I need to check mine, I've not done it in the six years I've had the car and it wasn't really taken good care of by the owners in the past. PO only had it a short time because it needed too much work for him.

Peter