On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM, clay monroe <redgh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> seller is a criminal.  Well, more a profiteer.  There is a feedstock
> variability, but if he is going through his tanks that quickly, he should
> invest in another location to feed the demand.

My Father-in-law used to work with the coop local to him.  When he
started the price was keyed to costs + maintenance, and if I remember
right it was $3-something per gallon - a bit higher than the cost of
street Diesel, the price covered only immediate expenses and
maintenance.  When Diesel prices jumped, they found that they were
always sold out, and they were running the coop at a capacity they
couldn't maintain.  At that point they set a price floor - the old
formula - but the selling cost was tied to $.10 over the current cost
at some nearby station to reduce demand.

It seems irrational to justify selling a comparable product for less
money just because the cost of manufacture is lower.  Of course the
coop was completely honest about this, and the money was reinvested
into bigger and better equipment, so that was fine, whereas in your
situation at first blush it would seem the gas station was just lining
its pockets - but in reality I doubt the station has much relationship
to the biodiesel producers, and presumably they were the ones charging
higher prices so as to be able to keep up with demand.

Best,
Tim