We are fortunate to live in a newer area, in which all of the hurricane codes
resulting from Andrew were in place. As a result, when the three hurricanes
passed through in the early 2000s, the interruption, if any, was minimal. It's
amazing how little the changes were in residential construction and how much
difference they made in the integrity of the homes built with the revised
hurricane codes.

All of our infrastructure is underground, so no power outages or loss of
Internet/cable/phone.

When you consider that the area where this hurricane hit is relatively
unchanged (residential areas, that is) for easily 50 years or more, it's easy
to comprehend why services will take so long to restore.

I hope they don't allow construction on the barrier islands, as they will be
damaged or disappear again. Consider that these areas can only be insured
through the Federal flood insurance program, meaning that we, as taxpayers,
cover the losses...

Dan

Sent from my iPad