A coleman versatrailer is light and quite handy. For what you are mentioning, it would be ideal. Very versatile.

Any reputable trailer hitch place should be able to install a hitch. 1 1/4" receiver is a good size, but they rarely stay removable. My van had one and it took a lot of beating (with a 10 pounder) to get a hitch into it. The hitch is never coming out of the receiver. they will be melted together when the van is melted for steel. 2" receiver is nice, but heavier than necessary. A small bumper hitch might be a good solution.

I'm starting to realize more and more that I need a means to transport larger items. The 240D is not cutting itas it is. Is it realistic to put a tow hitch on such an underpowered vehicle. I'm not talking about towing anything really heavy here. Maybe a couch or a washer or something like that. What kind of hitch? Where would it get mounted? What about a trailer?

The other option would be to buy a 123diesel wagonbut I'm not particularly thrilled about adding another car to my unsustainable old car fleet. An early G wagen diesel with a manny tranny would be even nicer but a bit pricey and hard to come by.

Thoughts?