When I lived in Canada, the Reform Party handed out a flier with a graph of the national debt vs time and party. I think I kept it, but it's buried in all the junk in the basement I've not looked at in years, but I'll describe it.

When the Liberals/Labour/New Democrats were in power, the debt shrunk (basically the same party, names change). When the Tories were in power, the debt grew exponentially.

Why?

Tories always cut taxes, spent huge sums of money on stupid things (like advertising for a proposed Constitutional Amendment that would give Quebec MORE money and less taxes). Buying lots of military stuff from the US was popular too.

This is also true in the US -- debt almost always explodes when the Republicans are in power and falls when Democrats are. The stock market does much better under Democrats, too, on average (although that's not such a tight correlation).

I've decided that the radial right has fully absorbed the lessons from "1984" -- they use every expression in the OPPOSITE manner. When they say "my opponent is lying" it means they are, etc.

Peter