On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:21:14 -0500 Jon Agne <jonag...@gwi.net> wrote:

> I think it normally works this way:  1) The President proposes a
> budget, and 2) Congress passes the budget.

It's supposed to be: 1) The House of Representatives develops and passes
a budget bill, 2) The Senate also passes the bill, subject to
negotiations with the House, and, 3) The President signs the bill and the
U.S. has a budget.

Note that recently no budget has been passed, only Continuing
Resolutions, which continue the previous spending. Our duly elected
"representatives" kicking the can down the road.

> If you look historically, almost all budgets were within 3% (plus or
> minus) of what each President has proposed.

Probably to avoid the threat of a veto.

Craig