If they are old and brittle, when you touch them they will crack.  Guaranteed.
I learned a long time ago to always have a meter of new return line handy any
time I touched one I had not personally replaced in the past.

Also, be careful when you remove them from the injectors.  If you use a razor
knife to cut the old lines, be sure just to cut the surface and not all the way
through.  If you do you can scratch the hose nipple on the injector, and create
a leak that can't be fixed.

Don't ask me how I know this....

Dan