Ya think? I took pictures. The metal part of the gasket is actually blown up into the oil passage. Maybe a quarter inch. It is an impressive blowout. I have never seen a gasket with a blowout like this. I have seen a bigger blowout between cylinders (on a gas engine) But a blowout into an oil passage, I have never seen anything like this.

Yep, that gap would do it.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC

Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:

Head gasket has a 1/4" gap at the front into an oil passage.  Head
looks ok.  I have it bundled up ready for the ride home.   Will find