Damage from overheat does not always result in scored pistons. However, if
the temp rise is large enough it may heat the pistons to the point the
camber is taken out of them. Pistons have an "egg shape" at the skirt area
to stop piston "slap" as it goes up and down. If the heat rise was enough
it may have deformed the skirt wall "egg" enough to make piston slap become
part of the engine noise set.

It may happen before the rings become hot enough to lose spring tension
that holds them out against the cylinder wall, thus start/run/power is
"relatively unaffected". In fact, as mentioned, start may happen faster
because of loss of friction the starter spins "relatively faster" .... Just
a thought.

Was not there, bring the car closer to the computer so I can listen to it

Grant...
Had it happen once when  freeze plug blew out after fresh overhaul... oops.