I seem to remember someone in this group one time recommending using acid to improve the soil for growing potatoes. Can anyone provide details on the procedure? Or perhaps it was a joke. In any case I have between 3 and 4 gallons of battery acid I'd like to be rid of. I have googled the subject and found many safety warnings - such as always adding acid to water, not the other way around - but I am coming up short on uses for it outside of lead acid batteries. And it appears batteries nowadays come already filled with acid and sealed.

The story is that last summer I rolled my farm tractor and hurt my elbow in the process. By the time the elbow had recovered enough to run a chain saw to free the tractor it had spent about three weeks on its side, draining half the acid out of each battery cell. Judging from the size of the battery I figured I would need 3 - 5 quarts to replenish it.. While at my local NAPA getting some other parts I found quart containers of battery acid were about $5 each and they had only 2. But they would sell me a 5 gallon container for I think it was $32. So that is what I bought and used about 1 1/2 gallons. It is in a heavy cardboard box with a plastic liner that collapses as the acid is drained out by an attached hose.

I have the box sitting up on a dry shelf in the equipment shed. I have never before needed battery acid and I don't anticipate needing it again. I don't want it to leak as the result of accident. Nor do I want stolen by some crazy person like the one that attacked the school children in Connecticut. Any suggestions as to what to do with it? Thanks.

     Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV

     Sex is the mysticism of materialism.