Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:26:12 -0500
From: David & Kristin Gilmore <dandkgilm...@frontier.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] OT - What to do with leftover battery acid?

       I seem to remember someone in this group one time recommending
using acid to improve the soil for growing potatoes.  Can anyone
provide details on the procedure?  Or perhaps it was a joke.  In any
case I have between 3 and 4 gallons of battery acid I'd like to be
rid of.  I have googled the subject and found many safety warnings -
such as always adding acid to water, not the other way around - but I
am coming up short on uses for it outside of lead acid
batteries.  And it appears batteries nowadays come already filled
with acid and sealed.

        The story is that last summer I rolled my farm tractor and
hurt my elbow in the process.  By the time the elbow had recovered
enough to run a chain saw to free the tractor it had spent about
three weeks on its side, draining half the acid out of each battery
cell.  Judging from the size of the battery I figured I would need 3
- 5 quarts to replenish it.. While at my local NAPA  getting some
other parts I found quart containers of battery acid were about $5
each and they had only 2.  But they would sell me a 5 gallon
container for I think it was $32.  So that is what I bought and used
about 1 1/2 gallons.  It is in a heavy cardboard box with a plastic
liner that collapses as the acid is drained out by an attached hose.

      I have the box sitting up on a dry shelf in the equipment
shed.  I have never before needed battery acid and I don't anticipate
needing it again.  I don't want it to leak as the result of
accident.  Nor do I want stolen by some crazy person like the one
that attacked the school children in Connecticut.  Any suggestions as
to what to do with it?  Thanks.

      Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV

      Sex is the mysticism of materialism.