240Ds can run high speeds all day long.  If running 75-80 doesn't feel
good, then something is wrong.  It may take a bit of time to get there,
however, and a hill can set you back somewhat.  But if something feels
scary, you need to fix it.  You're not doing any damage if the engine is
well maintained, remains cool, etc.

My former 240D did 325,000 miles or so before being totaled while parked.
 About 80,000 of those miles (~160,000-240,000) was me as a 18-22 year old
driving it hard!  Fond memories:
http://images.jaimekop.com/2001_02_10_240D_Maxed_out.jpg

Regarding the speeding ticket, I'm not sure how things work in Maine, but
here in NJ you could have the severity of the ticket reduced by just
showing up in court.  But admitting to a broken speedometer might result in
you getting a failure to repair ticket.

Good luck!
Jaime

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM, clay monroe <redgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> IT will max out at 85, but you better not try to keep it there for longer
> than a minute.  Being able to get it there would be hard for a 30 year old
> car.
>

> On Feb 14, 2013, at 5:01 PM, Peter Frederick wrote:
>
> > Probably it's your word against his, but yes, they have to have proof of
> a speed reading in order to write a ticket.
> >
> > The judge may get a kick out of this case -- however, a 240D will do
> about 85 max, don't lie to him.
> >
> > Peter

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/