Interesting, I'd always thought there had to be a limiter because you can feel
it just sort of stop accelerating. Or my '83 you could anyway, something is
wrong with my '78, its sometimes (but not always) down on power...

-Curt

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 12:11:04 -0600
From: Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Speeding ticket in a 240D??!!

> Curt Raymond wrote:

> I never noticed any difference in max speed between my '78
> 240D and the '83 240D I used to have. Max speed is governor
> limited and 5500rpm is 5500rpm no matter which way you slice
> it. The '78 is slightly slower to get there but only slightly.

Yeah - but a 240d isn't limited by the governor in 4th gear.
It's limited by the available power and air resistance.

With 175/82 tires (I think that's about what a 175SR14 is), a
3.69 differential ratio, and 1:1 top gear - 5250 RPM equals 97
MPH [156 km/h].  I think that's the "shortest" differential and
a rather small tire.  Nitske lists 86 MPH [138 km/h] as the top
speed for the early car which would be about 4350 RPM.  The
post-'79 is listed with a top speed of 89 MPH [143 km/h] which
is about 4500 RPM.

--    Philip