On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 13:38:49 -0700 Bob Rentfro <azbob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So....this is the first time I've tried to remove a solenoid. It appears
> that the electrical part comes off and the mechanical part stays on the
> starter is that correct?

You will first need to remove the starter from the car.

Then loosen the nut on the solenoid's big bolt closest to the starter and
remove the wire that goes into the starter from the bolt.

Then loosen the bolts that hold the solenoid to the casting that bolts
the starter to the engine.

Now, carefully pull the solenoid away from the casting. You will most
likely find that the lever that pushes the starter's gear out into the
ring gear is engaged with an extension of the solenoid's core. (Sorry, I
haven't taken a starter apart for awhile.) You will need to undo that
engagement to be able to remove the solenoid from the starter.

Craig