On 08/04/2013 3:02 PM, Bob Rentfro wrote:
Curtain Craig I just went from the top lug to the small lug on the solenoid
and I can hear clicking at the glow plug relay but nothing happens.
Bad solenoid?
On Apr 8, 2013 12:56 PM, "Craig" <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:

Let me suggest that you get one of the remote starter tester doodads.
Basically a switch with a cable and two clips.
Hook it on the terminals and press the button or squeeze the trigger.
You can do it from beside the car instead of laying under there with a screwdriver wondering if it will fire and take off, running over you in the process.

And yes, it sounds like the solenoid has failed.

Unless  . . . .

Who installed the solenoid - did it come on the starter??

I know we ran into an issue with the 4Runner I mentioned in another post. I had installed the new contacts so it was my fault. There was a ball on the end of a spring that fit in a certain spot. On assembly the ball got out of the spot it was supposed to be in.
The starter worked for a few days and then one day would not.
When I took it apart, I found that the ball had gotten jammed into a spot that prevented the solenoid from pulling in the contacts. Put a dab of grease on the ball to hold it in place where it belonged long enough to reassemble the starter and it has worked fine for years. No damage was done.

So, if this starter has anything like that inside, it might just be fixable.
If not, then one would think, either the contacts are not working - got burned somehow?? - or the coil is an open circuit - the solenoid is essentially an electromagnet that activates when current flows and pulls the contacts into place. So, one would think one could check to see if the coil is open or grounded out with a multi-meter before removing the thing from the vehicle.

Forgive me if this is off the mark. I have no experience with MB starters and solenoids - jsut that most all that I have worked on with other vehicles work as above and I am trusting that the MB one does too.

Randy