Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 20:20:01 -0700
From: "Jerry Herrman" <jer...@san.rr.com>
To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] OT - Leaking watering can

This post reminds me of a problem I have been stewing about. I have an old
McLane (the actual brand is Montgomery-Ward) front-throw reel mower which has
been sitting out in the back yard unused and in the weather because it became
difficult to start last year. It looks like the one in this link, except you
have to mentally erase all the paint and imagine how it would look after years
of hard livin'.

http://www.mclanemower.com/reel_mowers.htm

In the process of cleaning  the carb and replacing the old diaphragm, I
discovered that the gas tank is kinda rusty inside. Its really hard get any
access inside there, but I did put in some loose hardware and shook it about
with some gasoline, then poured out the rusty mixture. Lathered, rinsed,
repeated several times. That was two months ago. (I suppose all the rust I
removed has re-established itself due to this recent neglect.) I plan to shake
it out again, but I am seeking advice in case someone has had some experience
cleaning out a tank like this. Looking at the prices of POR 15, I don't think
this old machine justifies spending that much money. Would drying it out, then
keeping a mixture of motor oil and gas keep the rust to a minimum? Of course, I
realize the "correct" solution is to replace the tank, but that ain't gonna
happen. The most I would spend would a couple of dollars. Any suggestions?

Jerry
82 240D