I really get a kick out of bringing something back to life that somebody else has deemed "broken"

Me too.  Latest was the BIL's front door latch.  They've been
entering the house through the garage for a couple of years now.
I disassembled it, a "quality" item, and found that ham-handedness
had broken off a too-cheap bit of zinc casting.  (The thumb lever
axle pin goes through two of these ears, one was broken off.)  The
crap design has too little metal in the area to sustain taking
much force.  It really needs a new part, probably which can't
be obtained.  I flailed around with some stiff iron wire and
managed to make a harness for the hinge pin that keeps the axle
pinned against what remains of the casting.  Told 'em to treat
it gently and it might hold up for awhile, while a part (or
replacement door handle) was sought.  They seemed to appreciate
the fix, and youth pastor salaries being what they are, it'll
probably stay the way I rigged it for some time, assuming it
holds up and they treat it gently.

-- Jim