We have several "nice-looking" and very functional chairs and small tables around the house that I salvaged from neighbors' discard pile at the street 45 to 50 years ago. One of my favorite chairs is a $2 maple chair that I purchased in a "junk" store in Macon, GA, 50 years ago; 'repaired and refinished it. We still call it the "$2 chair." In the MI UP 40 years ago, SWMBO went "junking" through the countryside one afternoon and came home with six oak cane-bottom chairs @ $4 each; used parts of the worst one to repair the others; refinished and installed new caning; 'been using them at our kitchen table for 39 years; replaced cane bottoms twice since I did 'em first 40 years ago. 'Went to a party one night at a friend's house at Mather AFB, CA, in '62. As I pulled into friend's driveway, I noticed small butterfly table lying on discard pile at the street. I asked friend, "Are you throwing that table away?" "Yes," he replied, "You may have it if you want." 'Repaired it, removed white paint, refinished it with more appropriate stain and varnish; 'in use right now in 2nd floor bedroom. 'Many more items around the house like that. 'Could write a small book 'bout 'em.

Oh, BTW, there are a FEW things around the house that we bought new, but many of the things we enjoy most are those that had been thrown away. ;<)

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Cathey" <j...@windwireless.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - Leaking watering can

I really get a kick out of bringing something back to life that somebody else has deemed "broken"

Me too.  Latest was the BIL's front door latch.  They've been
entering the house through the garage for a couple of years now.
I disassembled it, a "quality" item, and found that ham-handedness
had broken off a too-cheap bit of zinc casting.  (The thumb lever
axle pin goes through two of these ears, one was broken off.)  The
crap design has too little metal in the area to sustain taking
much force.  It really needs a new part, probably which can't
be obtained.  I flailed around with some stiff iron wire and
managed to make a harness for the hinge pin that keeps the axle
pinned against what remains of the casting.  Told 'em to treat
it gently and it might hold up for awhile, while a part (or
replacement door handle) was sought.  They seemed to appreciate
the fix, and youth pastor salaries being what they are, it'll
probably stay the way I rigged it for some time, assuming it
holds up and they treat it gently.

-- Jim