I have a very competent tree guy who has been doing this for many years, and is
a certified arborist to boot.  He's going to come over next week some time to
take a look at it and offer suggestions.

The only exemption for the removal of a mature oak is for damage to the
sidewalk, driveway or foundation.  It's pretty easy to do, just provide
pictures that show the location of the tree and the displacement of the slab.

Dan