We won't like the new cars for 10 to 20 years.
Then, if we are still around (and if the new cars survive that long) we will think they are great.

I loved the W116 300SD when I first heard of it, about the time I was in driver's education. If only my parents would have been willing to trade their 3 year old custom built home for one and give it to me for my 16th birthday. (well, actually they paid 1/4 more for the house than a SD cost back then) Thinking back on it, it's not surprising that a '79 SD was the first MBZ I ever bought, more than 20 years later.

I think I always liked the W124. I know I really liked the W201 when it came out.

You accurately described my feelings about the bug eyed 210 chassis with all its gimmicks and digital displays. I always hated the W210 before it fell into my price range. Now I don't really think it's great, but I do like it, as long as the front suspension isn't falling apart. (but I do hate the failing 210 climate control and radio LCD displays more than I hate the failing 124 and 201 outside temperature displays)

Mitch.

The worst part of 123s, 124s and 126s are the electonics. ACC in particular. Fortunately 240D's escaped the MOMbusa bowtie dictate that every car sold in the USA had to be loaded up with crap to compete with fattylac.

MOMbusa has completely missed the fact that a significant segment of the MB market was for people who love the LONG TERM economy of a MB that keeps running, is inexpensive to repair, and is as simple as possible. crank window 240Ds represent this market, and there is a significant interest in crank window 240Ds for this reason. The A class is the current incarnation for this market, but it is strictly VERBOTEN by MOMbusa.

I might buy a 210 or its successor someday, but honestly, some form of Deetriot iron is more likely if I ever give up on 123s 124s and 126s. Each is successively more expensive and difficult to maintain. My Dogde van on the other hand, is pretty cheap and easy. The advantage that 123, 124 and 126 have over the 'merkun iron, is that they have Diesels with mechanical FI. If we are going to electronic FI, (gas or Diesel) then the only advantage MB has is safety.

I don't want or need all the crap MOMBusa loads on an MB to make it a "luxury" car. I don't want or need all the crap crypsler wants to load on a common dogde van. Self opening and closing side doors, for example. More crap is more crap to break, and it is the crap that generally breaks first and more often.

Even if I wanted to spend the money, I don't see a new S MB in my future. too much crap on it. I know Jaime likes the toys and gizmos on the new cars, and that is fine. It is how he makes his livelihood. But he also appreciates the old MBs too, and that is where we will always agree. BTW, my philosophy is the same about cell phones too. I just want a telephone that folds, is compact and works. (like the Startrek communicator) If I want all the other crap, I will buy an ipod touch.

"Less is more."