On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 09:08:13 -0700 (PDT) Curt Raymond
<curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "The sterilized ground left behind won't support much life at all for
> years" Now Max that part just isn't true at all. The ground isn't
> sterilized and life comes back almost immediately. There are even
> plants (mostly trees I think) that REQUIRE fire before their seeds will
> open.
>
> Fire is natures forest refresher.

What you say, Curt, is true for small forest fires, those that don't get
very hot. For very large, very hot fires, however, that is not true. The
top surface of the soil is glazed like glass and repels water. All of the
vegetative material, even that below the soil, is destroyed.

We have had those kinds of fires near where we live here in New Mexico.

Craig