On Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:08 PM Curt Raymond wrote
Fire is natures forest refresher.

-----------------------------------

In a prior life I had some responsibility for the test range at Eglin AFB in
the FL panhandle.  We accidently started a lot of fires there with various
munitions tests.  In most cases, the fires were simply allowed to burn
themselves out.   The professional range management group (AKA Jackson
Guard) also used controlled burns to manage the remaining "excess buildup of
fuel", which could cause dangerous fires.  There was an endangered species
that had a great deal of habitat on that range: the red cockaded woodpecker.
The interesting part was that the woodpecker nests were always located on
the periphery of our cleared bombing areas.  It turned out that this
endangered species only nested in areas where excess ground cover had been
burned off but the old trees survived.

But FL is not NM (where I also have lived).  Burned-off areas in FL re-grow
almost immediately, especially if the large trees survived the fire (typical
unless excess fuel was present).  Not so in the arid areas of the Southwest
US.