How deep is the snow likely to be?
If I were looking for a snow vehicle it would be a 4X4 truck with some clearance. Our old 4Runner was pretty good and I have no complaints about my F150. Both are the sort that cannot be driven on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive but are pretty stable on slippery roads and will plough through snow as they have some clearance. AWD cars are interesting but don't have the clearance to permit them to go where the roads don't get cleared pretty quickly.

Randy

As WIlton would say: "Zactly! I could go anywhere in a 200D or a 240D until the snow got so deep the car floated on the floor pans. Don't need 4WD in most cases. What you need to get through snow is clearance, Clarence. When I put 7.50 16 michelin M&S tars on my broco, I gained a couple of inches of ground clearance. Maybe 3-4" total gain over the factory small 15" tars. In between I had N78-15 ambulance tars on it to get more clearance.

A well balanced 2wd car with 2 sand sacks and good tires will go anywhere it has clearance. For maximum deep snow travel, you want a 2ton truck or larger with 22.5" tires on, and lots of weight to give the tires traction. Or a front assist tractor.... (working cab and heater are nice...)

I drove the ol 65 shovey to GR MI and back in a blizzard in '80 or so. It did fine. visibility was bad at times, but the car did ok. something like 1200 miles round trip. Schnee through IL, IN and MI.

A loaded truck will go through deep schnee when no car can. (pickups are not really trucks unless they are grossed out.)