On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 22:59:34 -0500 Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Without the tool, I had to invent a way to do the same thing (get the
> pump in time) so I read a lot and thought about what has to be
> accomplished, then developed ways to do it without the expensive MB
> tools.
>
> You can do the same.  Take off the valve cover, turn the engine over
> slowly.  watch the first camshaft lobe depress the first valve (#1
> exhaust) then keep turning until the #1 intake valve goes down.  Then
> turn the engine over until you can see the degree marks on the crank
> dampener. stop at 45ยบ BTDC.  Then clean and remove the #1 injector
> line, clean the fuel out of the tapered part of the DV union on the
> pump where the injector line fastens to the pump. turn the engine over
> very slowly until you see the fuel just start to move up in the DV
> union. Stop!  Read the degrees on the crank dampener where the pointer
> is.  That is roughly the start of delivery.
>
> That is all you need to do.  Check where the beginning of fuel delivery
> is.

Good suggestion, Loren.

Of course, you are assuming that it's been installed close to correct
timing. If the pump is 180 degrees out, he may not see the fuel welling
up in the delivery valve at the correct place of the crank rotation.

Also, like we discussed earlier this year when I was mystified by my
diesel with the bad delivery valve seals continuing to leak fuel, he may
have fuel welling up before the start of delivery and should look for a
stoppage of the welling up when the piston blocks the opening to the fuel
reservoir.

As one who has removed an OM617 injection pump to be bench tested and
then replaced it, I know of the many questions one has before doing the
process. Once you get it done, it's not so mysterious.

Craig