What NSA did was outside and beyond the bounds of its charter.  It has, and
should never have, access to or intervention in domestic intelligence
collection.  It was established to monitor intelligence outside our borders and
to report on what it found to the appropriate intelligence agencies for action.
 The FBI was to do domestic spying.  This is how J. Edgar Hoover set it up.
The agency was so compartmentalized that even married agents who worked
distinct sectors had no access to the intelligence, nor was it to be discussed
outside of their little dominion.  They were meant to take what they learned to
the grave.  The good ones did.  The better ones got recruited by CIA.

clay