From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Peter
Frederick
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:29 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT--Cookware Snob Opines

I've not tried the Asian knives other than a very cheap Santoku set for fun
and a cheap Korean carbon steel knife to see if I like that style.  I'm  not
impressed enough to do more than sharpen my Chicago Cutlery stainless stuff.
It serves me well, although they all need another trip to the waterstones
again, I didn't get them to the state I'd prefer the first time.

Knives are a pretty personal thing, you need to have the ones that fit how
and what you do with them. Asian very hard thin knives must be handled very
carefully or they chip badly, and sharpening them is definitely an art you
must learn or they are pretty much mediocre.

If you or another member of your household tends to band knives around,
stick with decent quality stainless European style knives, it will save you
a ton of grief and they will work well enough.  If you can keep the knives
out of other people's hands, you may prefer Asian style knives as they are
generally shaper and cut better with less daily maintenance (using a knife
steel).

  As I said, I'm perfectly happy with my standard Chicago Cutlery
stuff, but it's all made in the USA, meaning it's 30 years old or so.
New stuff is pretty much junk for the most part unless you spend a pile of
cash.

My absolute favorite knife is a K-BAR small utility knife.  Looks like a
miniature chef's knife.  Mother never used it because she could never get it
sharp on an Arkansas stone.  Once I ran it over the waterstones, it cuts
like crazy and has stayed sharp for six months now even though I use it to
take chickens apart regularly.  Wonderful knife, I need to keep looking for
more of them.  K-BAR only made kitchen knives for a few years in the late
40's and early 50's, they are well known for their military equipment.

Peter