On Dec 19, 2013 8:59 AM, "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com> wrote:

> I have been thinking the same thing for a while, as there is a huge demand
> for STEM teachers. The problem in his situation (I suspect) is that there
> is an exceedingly high number of such folks in his neighborhood, which is
> sort of unique in his case.

In NC, Craig would not be qualified to teach in the public schools, since
he only has a science-based Ph.D. and many years of relevant work
experience.  This is a right-to-work state, we just care about our teachers
too much to let people know what they are doing before they try to instruct
our children.

That said, there are lots of private and charter schools in Durham and Wake
county, and lots of concentrated wealth so some of them pay very well.
 [And, knowing Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, they probably have a
waiver for licensure, since it is by far the best - and best paying -
public school system in the state.] There are also a number of universities
and colleges within 30 miles to pick up an Adjunct position, though to be
honest I think the private high schools pay better and have more motivated
students.  A college friend of my is the principal at one of the Catholic
schools, he's not a high-roller but he has enough and really enjoys his
work.

The local post-secondary schools certainly don't espouse any religious
theme*, but there is a thriving Christian community in each of them - I was
blessed with a number of professors who helped solidify my faith while I
was at NC State, and now I know a fair few folks from Duke and Chapel Hill
through church/organizational interactions as well.  Oddly my wife went to
NCCU and I know only two current professors there, though as an HBCU in
Durham I'm pretty sure it has a strong AME influence.

*Duke is the exception, practically it is a secular university that happens
to have a historical divinity school located on the same campus.  That said
I know a lot of the present and former Divinity School people, and they are
incredible, in word and deed - I wasn't expecting that when I moved to
Durham, given the Duke reputation. :)

I'm not trying to make this a religion thread, but I know it's important to
Craig that he's working somewhere Good.  Just trying to get him to move
here so he can help me with the SDLs, don'cha know.

Best,
-Tim
should point out that, while Durham and Orange counties are bastions of
liberalism, Wake is on average as conservative as they come