They call it "alternative certification" here.  It was originally intended to
be a vehicle for getting retirees and mid-career changers into the system when
we were desperate for teachers during the housing boom.

They brought a lot of retired military in, too.

You don't get to start teaching out of the gate. You're essentially an intern
after you complete some courses within the District, mostly things dealing with
pedagogical skills, something few people outside of education have or have been
exposed to. Once that's out of the way you get to start working in the
classroom.

Sadly, the attrition rate was frighteningly high when the program was going
full bore, about 95% after five years. Seems that teaching wasn't as easy as a
lot of people thought....

Substitute teaching is another way to go that avoids having to certify, but it
can be tough getting a long term gig and the pay isn't that great. It's a good
way to "slipstream" into the discipline, however.

Dan

Sent from my iPad