Loren Faeth wrote:
Does anyone have a chart for auto transmission types used in various model numbers and years. I am most interested in those used in the 123, 124, and 126 types. Right now I am specifically looking for info about the trans in a 86 300D and an 88 300TE

I know that a 123 can be converted to manual trans with bolt-in components. Is this also possible with a 124? Anybody got a 124 5 speed with all linkages, pedals, etc that would be necessary for a conversion?

The most difficult problems are usually the flywheel and driveshaft (124 gas and normally aspirated diesel cars were manufactured with 5 speed manual transmissions - but were NEVER brought to the US). New ones ARE available but are VERY expensive. Used ones are in short supply even in Europe and Asia - in the US they just don't exist. The manual transmissions do NOT mate well with Mercedes turbo engines.

There is a listing of all the transmissions used in 124 and post '85 126 cars in the '88 "Tech. Data Manual." I can scan and post it if you still need it. The best list of 123 and 126 (pre '86) transmissions will be found in the '85 TDM.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi