Thank you. If you could scan and post the info from the 88 TDM, I would greatly appreciate it.

Is it safe to say that both the 88 300E and the 86 300D have a 722.3 trans?

Does anyone know what components are different between the gas and diesel transmissions?

Loren
88 300 TE
86 300D (for this thread)

At 12:08 PM 1/10/2006, you wrote:
Loren Faeth wrote:
> Does anyone have a chart for auto transmission types used in various model
> numbers and years. I am most interested in those used in the 123, 124, and > 126 types. Right now I am specifically looking for info about the trans in
> a 86 300D and an 88 300TE
>
> I know that a 123 can be converted to manual trans with bolt-in
> components.  Is this also possible with a 124?  Anybody got a 124 5 speed
> with all linkages, pedals, etc that would be necessary for a conversion?

The most difficult problems are usually the flywheel and driveshaft (124
gas and normally aspirated diesel cars were manufactured with 5 speed
manual transmissions - but were NEVER brought to the US). New ones ARE
available but are VERY expensive. Used ones are in short supply even in
Europe and Asia - in the US they just don't exist. The manual
transmissions do NOT mate well with Mercedes turbo engines.

There is a listing of all the transmissions used in 124 and post '85 126
cars in the '88 "Tech. Data Manual." I can scan and post it if you still
need it. The best list of 123 and 126 (pre '86) transmissions will be
found in the '85 TDM.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
turbo 237kmi